Saturday, April 10, 2010

Roast @ 1 Rochester

Photobucket

I am pleasured to be invited to dinner and drinks a few weeks ago in the launch of a new dining movement "Roast" at One Rochester. Developed and helmed by the Executive Chef, Christopher Millar, "Roast" presents a totally new communal and ala carte menu.

Photobucket

I love the cosy al fresco seating at Roast which is similar to my favourite hangout, 1 Twenty-six at East Coast. For a start, it was the lovely Bread Basket with butter and balsamic olive oil dip. 

Photobucket

The Nibble Platter which consist of herb crumbed stuffed olives, potato skins with sour cream & ocean trout caviar, foie gras parfait, rabbit & pork terrine, cured ham, tapenade and crudites.

Photobucket

I especially love the foie gras parfait and cured harm.

Photobucket

Cheese Souffle was indeed interesting and something I tried for the very first time. Sad to say I didn't enjoy it very well as the cheese flavour was way too intense.

Photobucket

Tiger Prawn Salad with Couscous, Pomegranate, Mint and Persian feta. This got to be my personal favourite among all. Sweet and tangy salad really whet my appetite.;)

Photobucket

Pan Fried Foie Gras with Catalunya Spices, Sweet & Sour cherries [top] and Juniper Cured Salmon Gravlax with Scrambled Eggs and Toasted Soldiers [bottom]

Photobucket

Here comes the mains! :D
Ladies could not resist the Grilled Cod Fillet [left]. Simple dish yet so extraordinary. The flesh is so soft and moist. Seared King Scallops [right] was indeed delish. Thick and Juicy. Pity the smoked sea urchin risotto was slightly underdone. Too firm for my liking.

Photobucket

Then we had Baby Chicken with Pine Nut, Raisin and Truffle Stuffing [top]
& Braised Wagyu Beef Brisket with Creamy Paris Mash Potato [bottom].
Baby Chicken was flavorsome and goes really well with sweet pear compote. I was disappointed with the wagyu beef as it pretty dry.

Photobucket

And finally desserts.
Apple Tart with Calvados Ice Cream is their signature dessert. I thought it was vanilla bean ice-cream initially but the taste was slightly different. When I looked up the internet I realized they used Calvados ice-cream instead which was made from mixture of vanilla beans and apple brandy. A unique twist to the usual vanilla bean ice-cream. I pretty much appreciate the sweet vanilla sauce drizzle by the side with the crisp apple tart.

Photobucket

Grande Assiette is a selection of five petite sized desserts.
Pavlova with Vanilla Cream, Poached Strawberries and Passion Fruit Coulis [top-left]: was way too sweet.
Wild Honey and Pistachio Nougat Parfait with Cherry Compote [bottom left]: I enjoy the nutty flavour of this dessert.
Rose Perfumed Panna Cotta with Poached Pear in Crème de Framboise [bottom-left]: An acquired taste, not one that all can enjoy.
Classic Lemon and Lime Soufflé [bottom-right]: My favourite dessert of the night. I shunned at the first taste of it. But after a few mouthful, I began to appreciate it better. So refreshing and light.
Devils Flourless Chocolate, Mascarpone and Raspberry Ripple Cake [top-right]: Surprisingly when the rest found it too dense or rich, I kind of like its "richness". Helping myself to a few more mouthful ;))

Photobucket

Overall it was a pleasant dining experience at Roast with the exceptional ambience and comfortable settings. It is definitely a great place to chill out or for a romantic dinner. For me, food is secondary, ambience and service is first. Food at Roast was decent but with excellent dining experience, I love it just like I do for 1 Twenty-six.

Finally, I would like to thank Ms Audrey Rabarot and One Rochester Group for the kind invitation. :)

Check out the communal menu here.

Roast
1 Rochester Park

3 comments:

Shirin said...

WOW! The desserts look divine! I feel like taking a spoon and digging into the pictures (which is impossible, sadly!) I'm adding this to my lists of places to try! Thank you for this my dear! xx

XinLi29288 said...

this looks like a nice place for a gathering! (:

Bella V said...

Shirin/ Xinli: It is definitely a great place for a nice gathering or romantic dinner with your loves ones. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails